MLL COMMUNICATIONS and MARKETING SPRING INTERNSHIP
Major League Lacrosse is seeking hard working, creative, enthusiastic, and self-motivated individuals to fill a number of available internship opportunities in its Communications and Marketing Department. Communications/Marketing interns will report directly to the League’s Communications and Marketing Manager. There will also be collaboration with Broadcast Manager and digital/video departments to create a cohesive presentation between digital communications/marketing and television/video productions.
• Positions are available year-round.
• Positions are unpaid.
• Academic credit is always available to anyone who requests it ahead of time.
• Interns must provide their own transportation.
• Some light travel may be required depending on months of internship AND locations of League special events.
• Interns working the months of April, May, June, July and August will be required to work some nights and weekends both in office and/or remotely working/reporting on game activity. League schedule and week to week events will dictate when late night and/or weekends are required.
• Normal intern calendars are as follows but some flexibility is available with start/end dates:
o Spring: January through May
o Summer: May through August
o Fall: September through December
• All interns are required to work Mondays and attend Monday morning staff meetings and attend the weekly Commissioner’s intern conference immediately following the staff meeting. No exceptions.
• Internships are an “at-will” position and may be terminated by the League at anytime.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Generate creative content aligned with the League’s brand via web, social media channels and other methods as directed by the League’s Communications and Marketing Manager.
• Present ideas weekly (at minimum) for creative and editorial content and execute approved concepts under strict deadlines.
• Support and implement the League’s marketing & social media strategy.
• Monitor, analyze and report on web and social media analytics.
• Work closely with the League’s digital/video production arm to coordinate an effective presentation between the written communications strategy and the complimenting video component.
• Collaborate, where applicable, with League sponsors and licensees by generating creative promotional contests which can be shared via web and social media.
• Create promotional contests and execute action plans surrounding the League’s marquee events: Draft, All-Star and Championships to be shared via web and social media.
• Produce pre-game notes for a specific MLL team(s) as assigned by the Communications and Marketing Manager.
• Recap results of weekly games immediately following event (post within 1 hr of end game).
• Review game video the week following event, if requested by League operations.
• Maintain and update League records and player encyclopedia publications.
• Monitor and fulfill League Fantasy Lacrosse program.
• Process and fulfill incoming charitable donations requests.
• Process contest winner prize packs in a timely manner, as applicable.
• Manage incoming general inquiry emails for League and distribute to appropriate department or send appropriate reply from the Communications Department.
• Answer incoming telephone calls to League general lines.
REQUIRED SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, AND ABILITIES
• Open to college juniors and seniors (recent grads or graduate students encouraged to apply).
• Journalism, communications, marketing, or public relations majors preferred.
• Extensive experience utilizing social media programs primarily Twitter and Facebook.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office software programs including Word, Excel, Photoshop/Illustrator, and PowerPoint. Adobe In-Design knowledge a plus.
• Excellent communications skills including oral, written and presentation; ability to express ideas clearly and concisely.
• Ability to manage competing demands, frequent changes and work in an extremely fast-paced environment.
• Willingness to take initiative, own responsibilities, and raise standard of excellence.
• Must be highly organized, resourceful, a quick learner, possess an eye for sharp attention to detail.
• Enterprising and self-starter with the ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Must be a team player who is willing to work both together and individually on creative projects.
• Ability to work well with different personalities as part of a team.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality, listens to others, and willingness to try new ideas.
• Excellent customer service skills and ability to handle media in any situation, both good and bad.
• Presents self in a professional manner and has the ability to interact with all levels of the organization and outside contacts.
• Must be able to confidently contact members of the media, MLL team staff, MLL players and coaches in an articulate manner.
Expected Schedule Commitment:
• Minimum office requirements include all Mondays plus minimum of 2 additional weekdays.
• Days and hours per day can be determined on a case by case basis but generally are 9am-5pm.
• Summer interns will be required to work at least one weekend day, usually Saturday evenings to cover League games. Subject to League schedule TBD.
• When needed, ability and willingness to work irregular hours, including nights, weekends, holidays due to the nature of professional sports.
• If needed, the ability and willingness to do light travel which may include away games, training camps, regular season games, League special events, and related lacrosse marketing events outside of MLL.
***Application is a two-step process***
Step 1: To apply for this position, click the 'Apply for this position' link below and fill out the application completely, including uploading your resume.
Step 2: After completing Step 1, please send a relevant writing sample to Alexandra.Fitzpatrick@majorleaguelacrosse.com for consideration. Resumes without a writing sample will not be considered. Please send writing samples, cover letters, and resumes to complete step 2 of the application. You WILL NOT be considered for this position unless you have completed both Steps 1 & 2.
Click here to see all of our employment opportunities.
Contact the TeamWorkOnline webmaster / FAQ